Potentially Harmful Ingredients Often Used in Commercial Facial Scrubs/Exfoliants:
- An unspecified mixture of chemicals that are known human immune system toxicants; Moderate evidence of human neurotoxicity
Magnesium Aluminum Silicate
(Magnesium Aluminum Silicate is a complex silicate refined from naturally occurring minerals) - An anti-caking agent, opacifying agent and viscosity increasing agent; known neurotoxin and suspected of respiratory toxicity
- A fragrance ingredient, emollient, and emulsifying agent - skin, eye and lung irritant and penetration enhancer (allowing other chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin); may be contaminated with toxic impurities like Glyceryl Diesters.
- A fragrance ingredient and preservative; eye and skin irritant; mutagenic; suspected neurotoxin
- An anti-acne agent and exfoliant; Use is restricted in Canadian cosmetics; brain and nervous system effects at low doses; sense organ effects at very low doses; reproductive effects at moderate doses; skin irritant and penetration enhancer (allowing other chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin); mutagenic
- A fragrance ingredient, skin-conditioning agent and viscosity decreasing agent; Has been found to provoke skin irritation and sensitization in humans as low as 2% concentration, while the industry review panel recommends cosmetics can contain up to 50% of the substance; may provoke allergic reactions; reproductive effects at moderate doses; mutagenic; penetration enhancer which alters skin structure, allowing other chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin
(aka: Ingredients starting with the following and proceeded with a number: Oleth; Nonoxynol; PEG; Octoxynol; Ceteareth and Ceteth - Most commonly used are Ceteareth 20, Ceteareth 30 and PEG 8) - A humectant (promotes moisture retention) cleansing agent and solubilizing agent - Not safe for use on injured or damaged skin; eye and skin irritant; penetration enhancer - alters skin structure, allows other chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin; may be contaminated with harmful impurities like Ethylene Oxide
(highly hazardous; known carcinogen; immune, respiratory, cardiovascular and skin toxicant; neurotoxin; reproductive system, nervous system and developmental toxicant; toxic to the liver, etc.) and 1,4 Dioxane
(probable carcinogen; respiratory, skin, eye and lung toxicant/irritant)
- An antioxidant and skin-conditioning agent; skin sensitizer - can instigate immune system response that can include itching, burning, scaling, hives, and blistering of skin; strong skin toxicity; broad systemic effects at moderate doses on organs; May be contaminated with toxic impurities such as Hydroquinone
which has been linked to cancer, developmental and reproductive toxicity, immunotoxicity, organ system toxicity and endocrine disruption
(TEA) - A fragrance ingredient, pH adjuster and emulsifying agent; strong evidence as an immune, respiratory and skin toxicant; possible immune system toxicant; forms carcinogenic nitrosamine
compounds if mixed with nitrosating agents; may cause asthma
FD&C Color Pigments
- Synthetic colors derived from coal tar that are continously tested on animals due to their carcinogenic properties; Contain heavy metal salts that deposit toxins onto the skin, causing skin sensitivity and irritation; Animal studies have shown almost all of them to be carcinogenic
- Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products; Widely used even though they are known to be highly toxic; Skin sensitiser - Known to cause allergic reactions and skin rashes and can instigate immune system response that can include itching, burning, scaling, hives, and blistering of skin.
NOTE: This is a non-inclusive list of harmful ingredients found in many commercial products. There are numerous other toxic and potentially damaging ingredients, but were not listed as they are less frequently utilized.
How Safe Is Your Scrub/Exfoliant?
**For more information or to find out what's lurking in your products, search the Cosmetics Database at Skin Deep by Environmental Working Group at http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/. You will be amazed and disgusted!
We are Committed to Improving the Future, One Person, One Choice at a time!
Please Join Us!
SMALL CHANGES ..... DONE BY MANY ..... EQUALS BIG RESULTS!!
Produced by Natural Living For You * Copyright 2006-2018 * All Rights Reserved
Disclaimer: The information provided on http://www.naturalliving4u.com/ is for educational purposes only and is NOT intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.